Sunday 13 November 2011

Morning dip in Bantham


Today we woke up at Farthings. Looking out of our bedroom window we realised that the tide was high.

So a quick breakfast for the girls and a family dash to the quay for a refreshing dip in the Avon. It was blustery but magical as always. I always feel a bit sorry for our girls as they sit in their pram and watch their nutty parents strip off and jump in to various rivers, seas, lidos and lakes but they don't seem to mind too much, well as long as we are armed with raisins and books!


Stuart went first and Freda, Etta and I watched as he swam out into the estuary. The view from where we watched was lovely, a redish tint to the sky you can see where the estuary meets Bantham beach and it looks powerful but always beautiful. It's such a wonderful place. Burgh Island sits beyond the mouth of the estuary. You can't see it from where we swim but you can see the cliffs of Bigbury, this morning Bigbury looked like a welcome place to be. More welcome that the water but we still managed to get in and have a swift refresher.

As Stuart returned I executed a quick change into my cossie and we had a nippy changeover. The water was cold but not cold enough to give me an ice-cream headache and infact I didn't even get cold today. Either I've got a higher fat content than I used to (very possible - I do like cakes!) or I'm just hardening up (not quite so likely!)

Either way it was a lovely start to the morning and we strolled slowly back to Farthings for a leisurely breakfast of toast and coffee followed by a sad departure, back home to the real world.

Bye Bye Bantham, see you again soon x

No comments:

Post a Comment