Tuesday 28 September 2010

It's getting cold again

It's late September, I'm 6 months pregnant and the dipping is getting cold again, Hooray!

I used to love Autumn for the turning leaves, the refreshing breezes and the atmospheric rain. Now I love it because it signals the beginning of another magical winter of freezing cold dips.

This morning steam was coming off the millpond and the water hasn't looked that enticing in a long time. We swam from the quay in Stoke Gabriel with Freda watching and once the ice-cream headache had passed I swam bravely out into the River Dart and just watched. The water was still, the surroundings were beautiful and my fingers were going a bit numb. Just perfect.

Swimming back towards Stoke Gabriel I realised that I should probably keep my bump a bit warmer from now on but I also realised that I have really missed the chilling waters of winter. I feel very excited about this winter. A new home, a new baby on the way and our lovely little girl Freda turning one year old on the 30th September.

Much to my husbands despair I am already excited about Christmas and ofcourse we will be gracing the River Dart with our presence for our traditional Christmas Day dip. High water is at 8.45am....what perfect timing, Father Christmas will have been and lunch will be warming in the oven. A dip has never been so well timed. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. The thought of that cold water freeezifies me, but what a lovely way to spend Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete