Monday 13 September 2010

Rowcroft Swim

A gorgeous sunny day in September so what better way to spend it than swimming a mile at Teignmouth Beach with 130 others?

Margy (aka Pocket Rocket) rallied the South London troops and we all went, old and new to swim our mile along the Devon coast. Alex, Ann, Margy, Tricky, Stu and I all got ready to run into the water together while Egg looked after little Freda and fed both her and himself a fair few blueberry rice cakes.

The only strange things about the swim was that out of 130 swimmers there were only 10 of us swimming as God intended (well with our vitals covered!) what a shame. All the rest were in wetsuits! What on earth? It was boiling hot and the sea was warm, why were so many people wearing rubber? I won't go on about that because I had a lovely swim but I simply don't understand why people put rubber clothes on to swim when it's so hot outside?

The swim started in waves of 25 and we were in the 3rd wave. We ran into the water, 5 month bump and all and swam off. I was worried that I'd be surrounded by people and get a boot in the tummy so I was a bit nervous to start with but it wasn't like that at all. Stuart and I swam out wide and kept clear of the crowds. We spent the whole swim passing people and basked in the sunshine, it was just lovely lovely lovely and an excellent way to round off the weekend.

Thank you Stuart from swimming with me, I followed him as fast as my arms would carry me but he still did butterfly in places and held back in others so that I wasn't swimming alone, that's just lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment